The Other Art Fair, a leading artist fair for discovering emerging artists, will introduce its first U.S. Virtual Edition Fair, The Other Art Fair Los Angeles on March 30-April 4. This Los Angeles edition of The Other Art Fair’s virtual reality fair series will feature more than 100 local and international emerging artists within a three-dimensional fair environment, supported by a robust program of interactive features that celebrates the Los Angeles art community.
This six-day, virtual reality art fair will also serve as the debut of The Other Art Fair’s New Futures award, an initiative developed to champion the works of up-and-coming and underrepresented artists from the local art community. The New Futures artists are hand-chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of experts working in art institutions across the globe. Each edition of The Other Art Fair will showcase different New Futures artists local to the city’s art scene, who will each present their work at one virtual and one in-person The Other Art Fair event in 2021. The New Futures artists will also receive one-on-one mentorship from The Other Art Fair’s Fair Director and Marketing Director, while also being paired with a seasoned Fair exhibitor who has volunteered for peer-to-peer mentorship. The New Futures winners for the Los Angeles edition of The Other Art Fair are Jessica Carranza and Ricardo Cobian, both Los Angeles-based artists.
“Following the success of our Global Virtual Edition, we are thrilled to present innovative features to our fair visitors and showcase the incredible talents of emerging artists both locally and internationally,” said Ryan Stanier, founder of The Other Art Fair. “I am especially proud of our New Futures program, as this will be an opportunity for us to help support and launch the careers of underrepresented artists at the beginning of their careers, many of whom are struggling to break into the art world. This initiative is another way we can support the local art communities where our fairs take place.” – Ryan Stanier, Founder of The Other Art Fair.
FEATURES, ARTIST HIGHLIGHTS AND PROGRAMMING:
The Other Art Fair Los Angeles, Virtual Edition runs from March 30-April 4, with an Artist Room Preview Day on March 30. Features will include hands-on workshops, a short films program, curator-led tours, customized portraits presented by BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®️ and more.
View the Full Schedule Here
Some highlights from The Other Art Fair Los Angeles, Virtual Edition’s programming include:
● Exclusive new works for sale by Guest Artist Brandon Boyd: Brandon Boyd, artist, songwriter, and lead singer of platinum-selling band Incubus, continues his residency as The Other Art Fair Los Angeles’ Guest Artist. Boyd will reveal brand-new original artworks and limited edition prints. Visit the Guest Artist booth in Artist Room 2.
● The Other Art Fair and Society6 present Recent Works by Amber Vittoria, benefitting Summaeverythang Community Center: a portion of proceeds from the sale of each artwork in this collection will be donated to Summaeverythang Community Center—founded in 2020 by artist Lauren Halsey—to support its efforts in donating and delivering organic produce from Southern California farms to South Central L.A. For more information about this cause or to make a donation, please visit summaeverythang.org. For sales inquiries, please contact Fair Director Nicole Garton at Nicole@theotherartfair.com.
● Selections from the Museum of Crypto Art: co-curated by Colborn Bell and The Other Art Fair, this exhibition features 16 foundational crypto artists from The Museum of Crypto Art (M○C△). M○C△ is an immersive Virtual Reality museum for NFTs in Somnium Space. It is considered the premier destination for digital art and innovative ideas pushing the limits of frontier technology and our collective imaginations. Hosting the works of renowned artists, M○C△ is the Metaverse’s finest crypto art museum and is respected internationally for the boldness of its curatorial programming. Visitors will see and interact with these works in real time as part of the virtual fair experience.
● Canvas Lab Digital Workshops Presented by BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®️: The Other Art Fair will continue its partnership with BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®️ with the Canvas Lab Digital Workshops. The Los Angeles Virtual Edition will include three exciting and unique Bombay Sapphire Workshops led by three emerging creators:
○ Learning Through The Line: Illustration With Carly Kuhn Aka The Cartorialist: attendees will learn how to create minimalistic illustrations through a series of creative exercises that will unleash your inner artist.
○ Cocktails and Beat Building With Eddy Johnson: attendees will learn how to build delicious drinks as they explore the common ground between classic gin cocktails and modern digital music production.
○ Hand Embroidery on Clothes With Han Cao: learn the basics to embellish clothing with simple embroidery. Using needle and thread, attendees will learn how to upcycle and customize any material (i.e.; shirts, jean jackets, cloth napkins, towels, etc.) with fun images or lettering.
● Creative Moments of Reflection: A Live Zine-Making Workshop Led by Lorenzo Diggins Jr.: fair exhibitor, South Los Angeles-based artist, and founder of cbc Press, Lorenzo Diggins Jr. invites you and your young one(s) to spend the afternoon creating a mini ‘zine with him using a mixture of collage, drawing, and writing. The objective is to discover you can actually create a lot with little to no resources—especially when you simply start with what you have! Workshop hosted on Zoom Saturday, April 3, 2021 from 12pm-1pm PDT. Free with advance registration. Visit Lorenzo’s booth in Artist Room 3.
● Enter the Portal: A Video & Sound Bath Experience with Allison Bagg: give your nervous system a break with this 30-minute sound bath experience. Fair exhibitor Allison Bagg will guide you through some breathwork to prime the body for relaxation before introducing the soothing sounds of crystal alchemy singing bowls, gong, harp, and chimes. These instruments will help your brain enter a meditative state, so just sit back and enjoy! Visit Allison’s booth in Artist Room 3.
● “WHEREVER YOU ARE, WHEREVER YOU WANT TO G&T” – Virtual Portraits with BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®️: to celebrate the US launch of the new Ready-To-Drink Bombay & Tonic, The Other Art Fair is partnering with artists to create unique pieces of artwork – featuring you! Tell us where you would like to sip a Bombay & Tonic and you could have your idea brought to life by artists Alexandra Bowman, Agostina Ele or Carly Kuhn. From ‘enjoying a Bombay & Tonic with a buddy at a picnic’ to ‘drinking a Bombay & Tonic on the moon’. We’ll be selecting submitted requests for our artists to sketch and showcasing them inside the Los Angeles Virtual Edition Fair.
● Marquee TV: the organization will present a curated selection of short films from around the world, focused on dance and music.
● Land Acknowledgement: join Jessa Calderon, musician and member of the Tongva community, as she opens the Fair with a special moment of reflection, honoring the historic and contemporary culture of the land we share.
● Invest in Art with Rebecca Wilson (LIVE): join Saatchi Art’s Chief Curator Rebecca Wilson as she walks us through what to look for when investing in emerging artists, and highlights some of her favorites from the Virtual Edition Fair. Thursday, April 1 at 4pm PDT. Free with advance registration.
● Build Your Own Happy Character – An Interactive Experience by Eva Cremers: through an interactive experience, visitors can tap into their own cheeky, creative side with an interactive, drag-and-drop tool that allows you to create your own Happy Character.
● “Cuídate” Playlist Curated by Chulita Vinyl Club: play the “Cuídate” (“Take Care”) mix to hear a collection of feel-good tracks selected by each of the seven members of L.A.’s beloved DJ collective, Chulita Vinyl Club.
● Poetry Reading by Ra Avis: poet, award-winning blogger, and author Ra Avis reflects on experiences from her time incarcerated and her journey as a returning citizen.
The 100 featured artists will be showcased across three rooms to allow visitors to more easily digest all artist stands. All rooms will be carefully curated by the fair team to ensure an exciting and varied breadth of medium. Visitors can also take a pre-recorded ‘Room Highlights’ tour led by the Fair Director before they enter the Room.
Tuesday, March 30: Preview Day | All Rooms Open I Pre Registration Required to Access
Land acknowledgement opening ceremony. Highlight feature: FemmeBit presents “Nature Club: Redux”; Art by Brandon Boyd
Wednesday, March 31: ROOM 1 Spotlight | All Rooms Open
Discover unique new voices, experimental styles, bright abstracts, and more. Highlight feature: Collecting CryptoArt talk; Ra Avis poetry reading; Chulita Vinyl Club playlist
Thursday, April 1: ROOM 2 Spotlight | All Rooms Open
Fall in love with colorful new street art, pop-inspired portraits, expressive abstract paintings, surrealist photography, and more.
Friday, April 2: ROOM 3 Spotlight | All Rooms Open
Find timeless artworks to elevate any space with new sculptural works using natural materials, gestural paintings in a neutral palette, inspiring landscapes, transportive photography, and more.
Saturday, April 3: All Rooms Open
Zine-making with Lorenzo Diggins, Jr—good for all ages; Curator-led tour on Figurative artwork
Sunday, April 4: All Rooms Open
Talk “Creating & Selling Crypto Art: NFTs and Beyond”; Curator-led tour on Mixed Media artwork